Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number (SSN) is enough. But, if you do need a replacement, you can complete your application online or in-person.

The easiest way to request a replacement SSN card is online with a personal my Social Security account. You can go to and answer a few questions to find out the best way to apply. If you aren’t able to use a personal my Social Security account to request a replacement card, you can still begin the process online and complete it in a local Social Security office or card center, usually in less time.

If you cannot complete the application online, you will need to provide the required documents in person. We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. If you do not begin the application online, you will need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card at your local Social Security office. To save time, you can print and complete the form before you arrive.

There is no charge for a Social Security card.

Other Questions You May Find Helpful

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?