Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
FEMA and State Resources for Hurricane Ian
We will launch a new website. You can preview it now and share your feedback.

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or need to correct your name for other reasons, you must tell Social Security so you can get a replacement SSN card with your correct legal name. See Defining the legal Name for an SSN.

To get a name corrected SSN card, in most cases, you will need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card and present the required documents. You will need evidence of your identity, your new legal name, and name change event. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status.

For a list of documents you need, go to the Learn What Documents You Need page and select “Corrected” under the “Type of Card” heading.

Visit our Social Security Number and Card webpage, your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center to find out your submission options.

For For more information go to the Social Security Number and Card pages or read our Your Social Security Number and Card pamphlet.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?