How can I stop Social Security from garnishing my wages through Administrative Wage Garnishment (AWG) after I received a letter that it will happen?

If we have not yet sent your employer a notice to withhold your disposable pay, you can call us at the toll-free number shown on your billing statement or your local field office to make a repayment plan. However, if your employer received the AWG employer package, which includes the garnishment order and notice (you would have received a copy of it too), you are considered active in AWG. Once you are active in AWG, you will remain active until your debt is paid in full, unless you file for a waiver or a request for reconsideration. 

See Social Security Handbook – 1913 Recovery Efforts for more information on AWG.
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-4278
  • Date Created: 06/08/2017
  • Last Modified Since: 06/08/2017
  • Viewed: 1894