If I am the representative payee for someone who receives Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), what changes must I report to Social Security?

If you are the representative payee for someone, you must report to us any changes that may affect the person’s benefit payments.
You must tell us if:
  • The beneficiary moves;
  • The beneficiary starts or stops working, no matter how little the earnings amount;
  • A disabled beneficiary’s medical condition improves;
  • The beneficiary starts receiving another government benefit or the benefit amount changes;
  • The beneficiary travels outside the United States for 30 days or more;
  • The beneficiary is imprisoned for a crime that carries a sentence of more than one month;
  • The beneficiary is committed to an institution by court order for a crime committed because of a mental impairment;
  • Custody of a child beneficiary changes or a child is adopted;
  • The beneficiary is a stepchild, and the parents’ divorce;
  • The beneficiary gets married;
  • The beneficiary no longer needs a payee; or
  • The beneficiary dies.
 If the beneficiary gets SSI, you must also tell us if:
  • The beneficiary moves to or from a hospital, nursing home, correctional facility or other institution;
  • A married beneficiary separates from his or her spouse, or they begin living together again after a separation;
  • Someone moves into or out of the beneficiary’s household; or
  • The beneficiary or their spouse has a change in income or resources.
More Information
A Guide for Representative Payees
Frequently Asked Questions for Representative Payees
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-4139
  • Date Created: 04/19/2016
  • Last Modified Since: 08/24/2017
  • Viewed: 20551