The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is now recognizing my same-sex marriage and allowing me to file my income tax return as married filing jointly, can I have my IRMAA removed?


You could be eligible for a new initial determination based on a life-changing event of marriage. You will need to provide us proof of your marriage and an estimate of what your income will be for the tax year you are requesting we use.

To report these changes in your income, you can use Form SSA-44, Medicare Part B Income-Related Premium - Life-Changing Event.

Rating:Rating of 4 Stars46 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-4023
  • Date Created: 07/22/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/21/2017
  • Viewed: 19914