I get Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Must I tell Social Security I am in a same-sex marriage?

Yes. You must tell us if you are married, separated or divorced, or if your marriage was annulled. This information could affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount.  

If you have questions about how a same-sex marriage may affect your claim, please call
1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.

Rating:Rating of 4 Stars57 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3869
  • Date Created: 04/14/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/24/2017
  • Viewed: 17830