Will Social Security recognize a same-sex marriage if the ceremony took place in a foreign country?

We are now able to recognize some foreign same-sex marriages for purposes of determining entitlement to benefits.  

If you believe you may be eligible for Social Security benefits, we encourage you to apply now to protect you against the loss of any potential benefits.

If you have questions about how a same-sex marriage may affect your claim, please call
1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.

Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars30 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3867
  • Date Created: 04/14/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/21/2017
  • Viewed: 12830