What should I do if I think I might be eligible for benefits?

If you think you might be eligible for benefits, we encourage you to apply right away. Applying now will preserve your filing date, which we use to determine the start of potential benefits.

If you have questions about how a same-sex marriage may affect your claim, please call
1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.

Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars72 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3864
  • Date Created: 04/14/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/21/2017
  • Viewed: 17521