How do I correct my earnings record?

Ordinarily, you cannot correct your earnings after three years, three months and 15 days from the end of the taxable year in which your wages were paid. However, you can correct your record after that length of time to:

  • Confirm records with tax returns filed with the Internal Revenue Service;
  • Correct errors due to employee omissions from processed employer reports or missing reports;
  • Correct errors "on the face of the record" that is, errors we can find by examining our records of processed reports; and
  • Include wages reported by an employer as paid to an individual, but not shown in our records.

To correct your Social Security earnings record, contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). It will be helpful to have information such as Forms W-2, pay stubs, etc.

Rating:Rating of 4 Stars519 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3853
  • Date Created: 04/10/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/21/2017
  • Viewed: 74331