How can I sign up for or change direct deposit for my Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments?
If you already get benefits and you have a bank account, you can sign up for or change your direct deposit by:
- Setting up a my Social Security account and starting or changing your direct deposit online (Social Security benefits only);
- Contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association;
- Calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778); or
- Completing a Direct Deposit Sign Up Form and taking it to your local Social Security office.
If you currently do not get Social Security or SSI benefits, but plan to apply, sign up for direct deposit when you apply for benefits. Have your checkbook or a copy of your bank statement with you when you apply for benefits.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services, my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3825
- Date Created: 04/07/2014
- Last Modified Since: 07/22/2014
- Viewed: 346121