How can I change or sign up for direct deposit for my Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments?
If you already receive benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) and you have a bank account, you can start or update your direct deposit by using the My Profile Tab in my Social Security. In addition, you can decide when your change will take effect.
This service is not currently available for people who receive SSI or do not have a U.S. mailing address. However, if you are receiving SSI, you can still check the type of payment method we have on record via the My Profile Tab in my Social Security.
- If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, can start or update direct deposit by:Contacting your bank, credit union, or savings and loan association; or
- Calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
If you currently do not get Social Security or SSI benefits, but plan to apply, sign up for direct deposit when you apply for benefits. Have your checkbook or a copy of your bank statement with you.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3825
- Date Created: 04/07/2014
- Last Modified Since: 03/14/2017
- Viewed: 1045460