How can I change or sign up for direct deposit for my Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments?

If you already receive benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) and you have a bank account, you can start or update your direct deposit by using the My Profile Tab in my Social Security. In addition, you can decide when your change will take effect.

This service is not currently available for people who receive SSI or do not have a U.S. mailing address. However, if you are receiving SSI, you can still check the type of payment method we have on record via the My Profile Tab in my Social Security.

  • If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, can start or update direct deposit by:Contacting your bank, credit union, or savings and loan association; or
  • Calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

If you currently do not get Social Security or SSI benefits, but plan to apply, sign up for direct deposit when you apply for benefits. Have your checkbook or a copy of your bank statement with you.

 More Information

How Do I Sign Up For An Electronic Payment?

Get Your Payments Electronically

Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars1585 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3825
  • Date Created: 04/07/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 03/14/2017
  • Viewed: 1045460