How do I pay taxes and get credits on my earnings under Social Security if I am self-employed?

Before self-employed people can earn Social Security credits for any year, they usually must have net earnings of at least $400. However, people with self-employment net earnings of less than $400 still may get credits for years when they use the "optional method" of reporting earnings. Self-employed people must report their earnings and pay their taxes directly to the Internal Revenue Service.


More Information

If You Are Self-Employed

Retirement Planner: Self-Employment

Rating:Rating of 4.5 Stars42 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3818
  • Date Created: 04/04/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 01/05/2018
  • Viewed: 44884