What can I do if I get an overpayment?
When we notify you of an overpayment, you have the right to appeal the overpayment decision or request we waive (not collect) the incorrect payment. We may stop collection of the overpayment if:
- You are without fault in creating the overpayment; and
- Paying it back would cause you financial hardship or be unfair for some other reason.
If you agree we paid you too much and the overpayment amount is correct, you have options for repaying it.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3810
- Date Created: 04/03/2014
- Last Modified Since: 10/17/2017
- Viewed: 49716