Can I refuse to give my Social Security number to a private business?
Anyone can refuse to disclose his or her number, but the requester can refuse its services if you do not give it. Businesses, banks, schools, private agencies, etc., are free to request someone's number and use it for any purpose that does not violate a federal or state law. Sometimes they will issue a different number if you ask.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3791
- Date Created: 04/02/2014
- Last Modified Since: 08/24/2017
- Viewed: 48534