What should I do when someone dies?
Notify Social Security as soon as possible when someone getting benefits dies. In most cases, the funeral director will report the person’s death to Social Security. Give the funeral director the deceased’s Social Security number so he or she can report the death.
See How Social Security Can Help You When A Family Member Dies for more information.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3765
- Date Created: 03/28/2014
- Last Modified Since: 08/24/2017
- Viewed: 765165