Do I qualify for benefits as a spouse if I am now in, or the surviving spouse of, a civil union, domestic partnership, or other non-marital legal relationship?

Social Security is now processing some retirement, surviving spouse and lump-sum death payment claims for same-sex couples in non-marital legal relationships (such as some civil unions and domestic partnerships) and paying benefits where they are due. We encourage you to apply right away for benefits, even if you aren't sure you are eligible. Applying now will protect you against the loss of any potential benefits.

If you have questions about how a same-sex marriage may affect your claim,

please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.


Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars198 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3762
  • Date Created: 03/28/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 08/24/2017
  • Viewed: 65929