Can children and students get Social Security benefits?
When a parent gets Social Security retirement benefits or disability benefits, his or her child also may get benefits. Children also can get benefits when a parent dies. The child can be a biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild also may qualify.
To get benefits, the child must be unmarried and:
- Younger than age 18;
- A full-time student (no higher than grade 12) 18 to 19 years old; or
- Have a disability that started before age 22 and is 18 years or older.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3761
- Date Created: 03/28/2014
- Last Modified Since: 09/08/2017
- Viewed: 244605