Will Social Security reduce my spouse’s benefits if I get a government pension based on my own earnings?
We reduce spouse’s or surviving spouse’s benefits if you also get a retirement or disability pension based on your own federal, state, or local government work not covered by Social Security. This reduces your Social Security benefit by two-thirds of the amount of the government pension. This sometimes reduces a spouse’s benefit to zero.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3759
- Date Created: 03/28/2014
- Last Modified Since: 08/17/2017
- Viewed: 130887