Will unemployment benefits affect my Social Security benefits?
Social Security does not count unemployment benefits as earnings. They do not affect retirement benefits.
However, income from Social Security may reduce your unemployment compensation. Contact your state unemployment office for information on how your state applies the reduction.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services
- my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3741
- Date Created: 03/18/2014
- Last Modified Since: 09/14/2017
- Viewed: 202968