How do I change my work status on my Social Security card?
To change the work status shown on a Social Security card:
Step 1: Gather documents proving your:
- Department of Homeland Security work authorization; and
- Immigration status.
Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card; and
Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.
All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.
We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. Your replacement card will have the same number as your previous card.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services, my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Tarjeta de Número de Seguro Social
- Cónyuges, Niños, Sobrevivientes
- Otros temas
- Impuestos, Créditos, Financiamiento
- Parejas casadas del mismo género
- Seguridad de Ingreso Suplementario (SSI)
- Servicios por Internet y «my Social Security»
- Sus pagos de Seguro Social
- Topic #: 34011-2054
- Date Created: 12/5/2013
- Last Modified Since: 7/28/2014
- Viewed: 53908