Can I withdraw my application for benefits if I change my mind?

If you applied for benefits and changed your mind, you can complete the Request for Withdrawal of Application (Form SSA-521) and re-apply at a future date.  Be sure to include on the form the reason you want to withdraw.

If you are already receiving Social Security benefits and change your mind, you still may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date.  If you are receiving retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your claim if it has been 12 months or more since you first became entitled or have previously withdrawn an application for retirement benefits.  You must repay all benefits already paid to you before we can approve your withdrawal request. 

You can find information about withdrawing your application on our Retirement Planner: If you change your mind page.
Rating:Rating of 4.5 Stars140 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-3197
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/12/2014
  • Viewed: 2739