How do I change my work status on my Social Security card?

To change the work status shown on a Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. Your replacement card will have the same number as your previous card.

Rating:Rating of 4 Stars64 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-2054
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/12/2014
  • Viewed: 4032