How do I report the death of someone getting Social Security or Supplemental Security Income payments?

Notify Social Security as soon as possible. Then, you can ensure your family receives all your entitled benefits. This includes a one-time payment of $255. However, the funeral director usually will report the death. In this case, give the director the deceased's Social Security number so the director can report to Social Security.

Report the death yourself by calling 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Also, remember you and the deceased's financial institution must return any funds received for the month of death or thereafter.


More Information

Lump-sum Death Payment

Social Security Survivors Benefits: Protection You and Your Family Can Count On

How Social Security Can Help You When A Family Member Dies

Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars647 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-2008
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/27/2014
  • Viewed: 23461