How do I change the name on a Social Security card?

To change your name on your Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.

Rating:Rating of 4.5 Stars19588 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-1995
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/12/2014
  • Viewed: 641410