Can I apply work overseas to my U.S. Social Security record?

We do not transfer social security credits from one country to another. But your work overseas may help you qualify for social security benefits from the United States or an agreement country. This is because the United States has agreements with 24 countries to coordinate social security programs across national boundaries. This helps people who worked in both the United States and in an agreement country, who may have not worked long enough in either to qualify for benefits.

Under the U.S. Social Security system, you need 40 credits to qualify for retirement benefits. If you do not have 40 credits we can count your work credits from one of our agreement countries. This can help you qualify for U.S. benefits. The credits stay on your record where you earned them. And it is possible for you to qualify for benefit payments from each country.

More Information

International Programs: U.S. International Social Security Agreements

International Programs: International Programs and Resources

International Programs: Payments Outside the United States

International Programs: Social Security in Other Countries

How You earn Credits

Retirement Planner: Social Security Retirement Credits

Social Security Programs Throughout the World

Rating:Rating of 2.5 Stars18 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-1949
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/12/2014
  • Viewed: 2311