Are earnings from work by a foreign student taxable for Social Security purposes?

If a student has an F-1, J-1, or M-1 Visa and is  working on campus or by special arrangement with the school, his/her earnings are generally not covered or taxable for Social Security purposes. Other work generally is covered and taxable. You may want to access the Internal Revenue Services' (IRS) publications 515 and 519 for details about employment taxes payable on the earnings of aliens.

These publications are available on the Internet at:  

IRS is the authority on all tax matters including the collection and refund of Social Security taxes. You can direct your questions to the IRS by:

  • Calling their toll-free telephone number, 1-800-829-1040; or
  • Calling or visiting any local IRS office; or
  • Writing to the national address of the IRS which is: Internal Revenue Service 1111 Constitution Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20024; or
  • Accessing their website at:
Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars22 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 34011-1915
  • Date Created: 12/5/2013
  • Last Modified Since: 3/27/2014
  • Viewed: 1675