How do I apply for a new or replacement Social Security number card?
You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen by following the steps below. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.
You will need to:
- Show the required documents. We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents you will have to show.
- Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
- Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.
For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.
For more information, read our pamphlet, Your Social Security Number and Card.
Other Questions You May Find Helpful
- How long will it take to get a Social Security card?
- How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?
- How do I get a replacement Medicare card?
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services, my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3755
- Date Created: 3/27/2014
- Last Modified Since: 9/8/2014
- Viewed: 9523292