What are the eligibility requirements to get Social Security disability benefits?
To qualify for Social Security disability benefits, you must have worked long enough in jobs covered by Social Security (usually 10 years). Then, you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability.
In general, we pay monthly benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more, or who have a condition expected to end in death. The disability must be so severe the worker cannot work, considering age, education and experience.
If you think you may be eligible to receive disability benefits and would like to apply , you can use our online application.
Applying online for disability benefits offers several advantages:
- You can start your disability claim immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment;
- You can apply from the convenience of your home, or on any computer; and
- You can avoid trips to a Social Security office, saving you time and money.
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services, my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3714
- Date Created: 03/07/2014
- Last Modified Since: 08/25/2014
- Viewed: 284069