How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?
If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.
To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:
- Show the required documents. You will need proof of your identity. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status. See Learn What Documents You Need for more information. Under the heading, “Type of Card,” select “Corrected” for a list of the documents you need;
- Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
- Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.
For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.
For more information, read our pamphlet, Your Social Security Number and Card.
Other Questions You May Find Helpful
- Social Security Number and Card
- Online Services, my Social Security
- Spouses, Children, Survivors
- Your Social Security Payments
- Supplemental Security Income [SSI]
- Taxes, Credits, Funding
- Same-Sex Couples
- Other Topics
- Topic #: 34011-3749
- Date Created: 03/26/2014
- Last Modified Since: 03/11/2016
- Viewed: 8780934