Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
FEMA and State Resources for Hurricane Ian
We will launch a new website. You can preview it now and share your feedback.

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

The Enumeration at Entry (EAE) program is an automated process allowing Social Security to use information collected and verified by the Department of State (State) and by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to automatically assign Social Security numbers (SSNs) to lawful permanent residents entering the United States.

Under the EAE program, any lawful permanent resident can apply for both an immigrant visa and an SSN by filing an immigrant visa application (Form DS-230 or DS-260) at a State office in their home country. If the visa is granted, then State transmits the identifying information from the person’s visa application to DHS. When the person is physically admitted to the United States, DHS sends the information to us to assign an SSN and to issue an SSN card. If the person has already been assigned an SSN – for example, if they had previously been admitted to the United States – we issue a replacement card if appropriate.

Anyone who applies for an SSN card or replacement card through EAE does not need to make a separate visit to a Social Security field office to apply in person. We will mail your SSN card to the address you listed on your DS-230 or DS-260 application. You should receive your SSN card no later than seven business days after you arrive in the United States.

Other Questions You May Find Helpful

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?