Skip to content
alert Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

Your employee can use their personal my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if they:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to their card; and
  • Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the participating states or the District of Columbia.

If your employee cannot apply for a card online, they will need to show the required documents. We need to see different documents depending on their citizenship and the type of card they are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents they will have to show. They should fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card and take or mail the application and documents to their local Social Security office.

There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?