We can assign a different number only if:
- Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems.
- More than one person is assigned or using the same number.
- A victim of identity theft, who has attempted to fix problems resulting from the misuse but continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number.
- There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment.
- An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)
To request a different Social Security number, contact your local Social Security office for an in-person appointment.
New Numbers For Domestic Violence Victims