Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

A surviving spouse, surviving divorced spouse, unmarried child, or dependent parent may be eligible for monthly survivor benefits based on the deceased worker’s earnings.

In addition, a one-time lump sum death payment of $255 can be made to a qualifying spouse or child if they meet certain requirements. Survivors must apply for this payment within 2 years of the date of the number holder’s death.

You cannot apply for survivors benefits online. To report a death or apply for survivors benefits, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. local time, or contact your local Social Security office.

More Information
If You Are The Survivor
Survivors Benefits

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?