Skip to content
alert Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

Social Security is now processing some retirement, surviving spouse and lump-sum death payment claims for same-sex couples in non-marital legal relationships (such as some civil unions and domestic partnerships) and paying benefits where they are due. We encourage you to apply right away for benefits, even if you aren't sure you are eligible. Applying now will protect you against the loss of any potential benefits.

If you have questions about how a same-sex marriage may affect your claim,

please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office.


Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?