Skip to content
alert Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:
  • You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card.

    You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

    • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address.
    • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card.
    • Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states. If your state does not yet participate in this service, check back soon. More states are added regularly.

    If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to provide the required documents. We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents you will have to show. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and contact your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center to find out your submission options.

    Note: If you are a U.S. Citizen, applying for a replacement SSN card, and choose to mail your application to your local office, you may use original or certified copies of secondary proofs of identity such as:

    • A marriage document showing your name and either date of birth or age (only when submitted to support the application for a name change).
    • A U.S. government employee identification card.
    • A non-government employee identity card/badge card showing your name and either a photograph or your date of birth.
    • A health insurance card or U.S. Medicaid card showing your name and one of the following:
      • Date of birth.
      • A photograph.
    • A school identity card.
    • A school record or transcript (for the current school year) showing your name and one of the following:
      • Date of birth.
      • A photograph.
    • A life insurance policy showing your name and age or date of birth

    NOTE: U.S. Citizens applying for a replacement SSN card are not required to submit original primary evidence (e.g. driver's license, state ID, U.S. passport), for mailed applications.

    Please read our Coronavirus (COVID-19) information page to learn about changes to Social Security number card requests during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Other Questions You May Find Helpful

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?