Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you change your mind about receiving benefits, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim if it has been less than 12 months since you were first entitled to benefits. To withdraw your claim, you must meet all of the requirements, including making the request in writing  and repaying the benefits that you received.

If you withdraw your claim, you may re-apply at a future date.

For more information go to our Withdrawing Your Social Security Retirement Application page.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?