We may pay Social Security disability benefits for as many as 12 months before you apply if we find you had disability during that time and you meet all of the other requirements.
If you think you may be eligible to receive disability benefits and would like to apply, you can use our online application.
Applying online for disability benefits offers several advantages:
- You can start your disability claim immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment;
- You can apply from the convenience of your home, or on any computer; and
- You can avoid trips to a Social Security office, saving you time and money.
Other ways to apply:
- Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm, or
- Contact your local Social Security office.
If you do not live in the United States or one of its territories, contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.