Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

An SSA-1099 is a tax form we mail each January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year. It also tells you how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on your tax return.

If you are a noncitizen and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S.

The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not generated for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

You can get a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S Benefit Statement for any of the past 6 years for which benefits were paid by:

  • Signing in to your personal my Social Security account and selecting the “Replace Your Tax Form SSA-1099/SSA-1042S” link. Go to the “Choose a year” dropdown menu. Choose the desired year and select the “Download” link. The most recent tax year’s SSA-1099/SSA-1042S will be available beginning every February 1. You can instantly view, print, or save your Benefit Statement. If you don’t have an account, you can create one at
  • Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm.
  • Contacting your local Social Security office.

If you live outside of the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, you can create a my Social Security account with an credential. If you cannot create an account, please contact your nearest Federal Benefits Unit.

Other Questions You May Find Helpful

How can I get a record of my Social Security earnings?

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?