Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you do not receive Social Security benefits, SSI, or Medicare, you do not need to change your address with us.

If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address or direct deposit information online using the My Profile tab in your personal my Social Security account. You can also decide when the change will take effect.

This service is not currently available to people who receive SSI or do not have a U.S. mailing address. However, if you get SSI, you can check your address and payment method, and update your telephone number using the My Profile tab in your my Social Security account.

If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. local time or contact your local Social Security office.

More Information

How Do I Sign Up For An Electronic Payment?

Get Your Payments Electronically

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?