Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

To change the sex identification on your Social Security record, you do not need to provide medical or legal evidence of your sex designation.

You will need to provide evidence to prove your identity, and sometimes citizenship or immigration status. The sex identification, if shown on your evidence document, can be binary (male or female) or non-binary (such as X). The sex identification does not have to match the sex identification currently on your Social Security record, or the sex identification you request.

Currently, our record systems require a sex designation of female or male, and cannot accommodate a non-binary or unspecified sex designation, such as X. We are examining ways to address this in the future.

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:


We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and, preferably, a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity, we can accept your:

  • U.S. driver's license.
  • State-issued non-driver identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of these specific documents, or you can’t get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we’ll ask to see other documents, including your:

  • Employee identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card).
  • U.S. military identification card.

U.S. Citizenship or Immigration Status:

If you haven’t established your citizenship with us, we need to see proof of your U.S. citizenship or your immigration status. We can only accept certain documents.

Born in the U.S. - Citizenship

If you were born in the U.S., we need to see proof of U.S citizenship. Acceptable documents include:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. passport.

Born Outside the U.S. - Citizenship

If you were not born in the U.S., but have become a U.S. citizen, we need to see proof of your U.S. citizenship. These documents include:

  • U.S. passport.
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570).
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560/N-561).
  • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350).
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), CRBA.

Born Outside the U.S. - Immigration status

If you are not a U.S. citizen, to prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your:

  • Current U.S. immigration document, such as Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa) with your unexpired foreign passport.
  • I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport.

If you’re an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).

If you’re a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status).

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SSA-5) available at

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and evidence documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We’ll return any documents you mail to us, along with a receipt.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?