Skip to content
alert Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:
The Enumeration Beyond Entry (EBE) program is an automated process allowing noncitizens who are lawfully present in the United States to apply for work authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and request a Social Security Number (SSN) or replacement card from Social Security at the same time.

Under the EBE program, any noncitizen applying to USCIS to obtain temporary work authorization via the new I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization Form) may request a SSN or replacement card. If USCIS approves your request for employment authorization and you completed the section on the I-765 application to request a SSN card, we will issue and mail you a SSN card with the restrictive legend, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” This card is valid as proof of work authorization when presented with a current, valid DHS employment authorization document.

Anyone who applies for a SSN card or replacement card through EBE, via the I-765, does not need to make a separate visit to a Social Security field office to apply in person. We will mail your SSN card to the address you listed on your I-765 application. You should receive your SSN card no later than seven business days after you receive your work authorization document from USCIS.

Please visit USCIS to learn more about how apply for work authorization and your Social Security number at the same time.
Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?