Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
FEMA and State Resources for Hurricane Ian
We will launch a new website. You can preview it now and share your feedback.

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

You can apply for a Social Security number or replacement Social Security card at the same time you request work authorization using Form I-765 or lawful permanent residency using Form I-485 through the Enumeration Beyond Entry (EBE) program. Once the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approves your form, they will send us information from your application to process your request for an original or replacement Social Security card. You will receive your card within 7 to 10 business days after you receive your I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or I-551 Lawful Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). We will mail your Social Security card to the address you provided on the application.

If you cannot use EBE, follow these steps to change the status shown on your Social Security card: 

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Identity.
  • Department of Homeland Security work authorization.
  • Immigration status.

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.

Step 3: Contact your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.


All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date you receive your EAD or Green Card. Your replacement Social Security card will have the same number as your previous one.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?