Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

To report wages online you must: 

  • Have a my Social Security account; 
  • Be working and receiving SSDI or SSI; or 
  • Be a representative payee of someone who is working and receiving SSDI or SSI; or 
  • Be the spouse, parent, or sponsor of someone receiving SSI and working. 

The employer must have previously been reported to Social Security and associated with the proper employer identification number (EIN). You will need to have all pay stubs available, know the pay period start and end dates, gross amount paid, and the pay date before you can report your wages online. If you need to report wages for an employer not listed in the online wage reporting database:

If you are receiving SSDI only, you may report wages up to two years prior to the current date. You may report a maximum of 104 pay periods for a maximum of 10 employers at each session. Additional pay periods may be reported in a subsequent session.

SSI recipients and deemors (spouses, parents, or sponsors of someone receiving SSI and working), and concurrent (SSDI/SSI) beneficiaries may report wages for the month prior to the current month. We ask that you report within the first 6 days of the month to avoid incorrect SSI payments, but you may report at any time during the month. If you need to report your past wages (received before the prior month), you should contact us.

Wages reported through the online wage reporting application are received at the time of submission. Online wage reporting is not currently available to people who receive Social Security Retirement benefits, need to report self-employment income, or do not have a U.S. mailing address.

If you receive SSI, you may still report wages through the automated toll-free SSI Telephone Wage Reporting Service or the free SSI Mobile Wage Reporting Smartphone app. Please note that pay stubs cannot be uploaded to the online wage reporting database.

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?