Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
FEMA and State Resources for Hurricane Ian
We will launch a new website. You can preview it now and share your feedback.

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:
If you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend your benefits to earn delayed retirement credits. If your benefits are suspended, you will not be able to receive benefits on someone else’s Social Security record. In addition, if you suspend your benefit, anyone receiving benefits on your record (excluding divorced spouses) will also be suspended for the same months you request suspension.

Your payments are suspended the month after the request was made. The suspension ends with the earlier of the month before you turn age 70; or the month after your request to resume benefits is made.
For more information, see Suspending Your Retirement Benefit Payments.
Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?