Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

Under the Enumeration at Entry (EAE) program, any lawful permanent resident can apply for both an immigrant visa and a Social Security number (SSN) by filing an immigrant visa application (Form DS-230 or DS-260) at a Department of State (DoS) office in their home country. If the visa is granted, DoS transmits the identifying information from the person’s visa application to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

When the person is physically admitted to the United States, DHS sends the information to Social Security and we will assign an SSN and issue or reissue an SSN card, as appropriate.

Anyone who applies for an SSN card or replacement card through EAE does not need to make a separate visit to a Social Security local office to apply in person. We will mail your SSN card to the address you listed on your DS-230 or DS-260 application. You should receive your SSN card no later than 7 to 10 business days after you arrive in the United States.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?