Skip to content
alert Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

To replace a Social Security card for a child:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Child's Identity.
  • S. citizenship if you have not established the child's U.S. citizenship with us.
  • Immigration status if the child is not a U.S. citizen.
  • See Learn What Documents You Need for more information.

Step 2: Gather documents proving your:

Note: If you are a U.S. Citizen, applying for a replacement SSN card, and choose to mail your application to your local office, you may use original or certified copies of secondary proofs of identity such as:

  • A marriage document showing your name and either date of birth or age (only when submitted to support the application for a name change).
  • A U.S. government employee identification card.
  • A non-government employee identity card/badge card showing the your name and either a photograph or the your date of birth
  • A health insurance card or U.S. Medicaid card showing your name and one of the following:
    • Date of birth.
    • A photograph.
  • A school identity card.
  • A school record or transcript (for the current school year) showing your name and one of the following:
    • Date of birth.
    • A photograph
  • A life insurance policy showing your name and age or date of birth.

NOTE: U.S. Citizens applying for a replacement SSN card are not required to submit original primary evidence (e.g. driver's license, state ID, U.S. passport), for mailed in applications.

Step 3: Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 4: Contact your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We’ll return any documents you mail to us along with a receipt.

Important Information

We will mail your card as soon as we have verified all required documents. You should receive the card within 10 business days from the date on the receipt. The replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.

You may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing the SSN is what is important. You need a SSN to get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and receive some government services. Otherwise, you do not often need to show your Social Security card.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?