Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
FEMA and State Resources for Hurricane Ian
We will launch a new website. You can preview it now and share your feedback.

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

Ordinarily, you cannot correct your earnings after three years, three months and 15 days from the end of the taxable year in which your wages were paid. However, you can correct your record after that length of time to:

  • Confirm records with tax returns filed with the Internal Revenue Service;
  • Correct errors due to employee omissions from processed employer reports or missing reports;
  • Correct errors "on the face of the record" that is, errors we can find by examining our records of processed reports; and
  • Include wages reported by an employer as paid to an individual, but not shown in our records.

With a my Social Security account, you may be able to correct your Social Security earnings record online, but you can also contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). It will be helpful to have information such as Forms W-2, pay stubs, etc.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?