Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If your institution has a prerelease agreement with the local Social Security office:

After you know your release date, notify someone at your facility that you want to apply for SSI payments or Social Security benefits. The institution then will notify us if you are likely to meet the requirements for benefits. We will get an application from you several months before your anticipated release. That way, we can begin processing your application. Your benefits can start as soon as possible after your release.

If your institution does not have a prerelease agreement with the local Social Security office:

After you know your anticipated release date, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)Tell the representative you are scheduled to be released from an institution and want to apply for benefits. Please have your Social Security number handy.

For more information go to the What Prisoners Need To Know and Entering The Community After Incarceration—How We Can Help pages.

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?