Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

We will be pleased to give you information about a Social Security number record. However, we charge a fee when an individual asks for information for a purpose that does not directly relate to the administration of a Social Security program. The fee depends upon the format of the information, and whether or not you know the Social Security number.

We can send you a photocopy of an original Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) or a computer extract of information from the form. In recent years, we recorded information from original SS‑5s onto computer record and advised agencies that require photocopies of SS‑5s that we will furnish computer extracts instead. The agencies agreed this information is sufficient to establish delayed birth certificates, get passports or process any requests for which we previously required a photocopy of the SS‑5.

To proceed, make an electronic Request for Deceased Individual’s Social Security Record. Or, print and complete Form SSA-711 and send us a check or money order for the appropriate fee, made payable to the Social Security Administration. If you prefer, you may pay by credit card. To pay by credit card, you also must complete and sign Form SSA-714.

See Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) for more information.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?