We can give you copies or printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $86 per request if you need them for an unrelated reason. You can also get a transcript or copy of your Form W-2 from the Internal Revenue Service. However, state and local tax information isn’t available if you e-filed your tax return.
Some examples of non-Social Security program purposes are:
- Filing federal or state tax returns;
- Providing income information for workers’ compensation;
- Establishing residency; and
- Establishing entitlement to private pension benefits.
When you write to us, be sure to include:
- Your Social Security number;
- The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
- Any different names shown on your W-2;
- Your complete mailing address;
- The year(s) for which you need copies;
- Your daytime telephone number; and
- The reason for your request.
Send your request with a check or money order payable to the Social Security Administration. Please include your Social Security number on the check or money order. You also can pay with a credit card by completing Form-714. Regular credit card rules apply.
Please send your request to:Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Office of Earnings and International Operations
Division of Earnings and Business Services
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD 21290-3003