We can give you copies or printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $126 per request if you need them for an unrelated reason. You can also get a transcript or copy of your Form W-2 from the Internal Revenue Service. However, state and local tax information isn’t available if you e-filed your tax return.
Some examples of non-Social Security program purposes are:
- Filing federal or state tax returns.
- Providing income information for workers’ compensation.
- Establishing residency.
- Establishing entitlement to private pension benefits.
If you do not give a reason, we assume you need the forms for non-program purposes.
When you write to us, be sure to include:
- Your Social Security number (SSN).
- The exact name shown on your Social Security card.
- Any different names shown on your W-2.
- Your complete mailing address.
- The year(s) for which you need copies.
- Your daytime telephone number.
- The reason for your request.
Send your request with a check or money order payable to the Social Security Administration. Please include your SSN on the check or money order. You also can pay with a credit card by completing Form-714. Regular credit card rules apply.
Please send your request to:Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Office of Earnings and International Operations
Division of Earnings and Business Services
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD 21290-3003