Skip to content
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Frequently Asked Questions

Comments and Questions

Last Modified:

We can give you copies or printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $90 per request if you need them for an unrelated reason. You can also get a transcript or copy of your Form W-2 from the Internal Revenue Service. However, state and local tax information isn’t available if you e-filed your tax return.
Some examples of non-Social Security program purposes are:

  • Filing federal or state tax returns;
  • Providing income information for workers’ compensation;
  • Establishing residency; and
  • Establishing entitlement to private pension benefits.

 If you do not give a reason, we assume you need the forms for non-program purposes.
 When you write to us, be sure to include:

  • Your Social Security number;
  • The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
  • Any different names shown on your W-2;
  • Your complete mailing address;
  • The year(s) for which you need copies;
  • Your daytime telephone number; and
  • The reason for your request.

Send your request with a check or money order payable to the Social Security Administration. Please include your Social Security number on the check or money order. You also can pay with a credit card by completing Form-714. Regular credit card rules apply.

Please send your request to: Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Office of Earnings and International Operations
Division of Earnings and Business Services
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD 21290-3003

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?